Google+ Positive Psychologist: Stats & Lamp posts

Leader

Friday, July 17, 2009

Stats & Lamp posts

I have been hearing a lot of statistics recently. This always is the case. You ask a question and expect a logical answer and what you get to hear is tons and tons of stats being pushed into your head which make the talk look more learnt and qualitative. If you thing I am buying this.. give me a break.

Statistics give a scope, an aerial view, to understand and know what is happening around but that itself doesn't determine anything unless you use it to leverage your brand/product/service. use statistics to help you win that extra customer, win the contract, make your brand more relevant. Or else the whole purpose is ruined. So when you talk to me in statistical tones better tell me how and why should I know them/use them. Ever heard this?

'He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination.'
- Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

No comments:

Adapt