Google+ Positive Psychologist: Impossible is nothing. 80 & counting!

Leader

Friday, February 26, 2010

Impossible is nothing. 80 & counting!


Hibernating is painful. That is a fact. Especially when you travel. Living sparingly on a liquid diet to strain the body and lose some extra fat accumulated over the last decade is tough. I am told this is not the right way to do it. I mean the weight loss. Now that I am doing it for the past 10 days while going to work, traveling to three states being exposed to cuisine you would be gulping otherwise is... Hmmm... Irritating to say the least.

While I strive to reach my target of 76 kgs as my BMI tells me is normal, my advice for you is to stay hungry, feed on fruits, indulge in leafy vegetables and go for a walk/jog everyday. For the last four months, since October 4'th 2009, I have intensified my struggle in to war mode and lost around 20 kgs. What really helped was jogging for four kms everyday and cutting down on intake.

Not that my work stress(Marketing Stress so to say), personal commitments, reading books, writing articles, working on a P.hd thesis, MA Business Economics exams, setting up new businesses, reaching targets, making an angel fall in love everyday didn't help. But the glee on my face when I try a 40'' slim fit shirt or a 32'' jeans at the store is awesome. For a change I can hug someone and not just neck for there is no tummy tussle! The pain and endurance was worth every inch. Those four km jogs on the beach early mornings paid off. Interestingly MJ repeated what my Mom exclaimed when she saw me after these four months... 'Where is the other half of my son?' Now if that is what I get from my mom, I should have made some progress! Oh! yes, the angel still has to see me like this.

I am writing this post from my Blackberry, sitting at seat no 55, coach no S2 in Chennai Mail (name of the train) on the way to Chennai from Calicut and trying to keep my nostrils and taste buds busy while people around me are gluttonly feasting on veg pulav, chapatis, parantas, peas pulav, chicken fry, fried banana chips, halwa, meen (fish) curry, sipping coke and laughing out. I silently sip salty butter milk as a reassurance to my taste buds on a bland tongue and growling tummy that the lavish food mongling days are yet to return. Indulgence, my friend, is easy.

Now that they know the food isn't coming, my senses are super active and I can smell the passing wafts of french fries from the platform, sense a pinch of more salt could make the chicken biryani in the seat no 59's plate more palatable and so on... I guess you get the drift by now.

Isn't it surprising that our body is like a wild animal? Taming it needs a lot of patience, grit and will power. No wonder many fail in this battle. Consumer psyche is amazing and interesting. Setting out something, a brand, beyond your limits and telling you can't have it will make you yearn for it more. Telling you how you can get it will make you think you should try. Making the path difficult to take and long enough to drain your will power makes it coveted. That is what an Audi ad in a newspaper tells you. That is what a curvy semi nude girl hugging a Ducati tells you. That is what an apartment ad in posh locality in Bangalore tells you. That is what a chiseled hunk tells you when he says he is just jockeying. YOU CAN'T. True that the few might actually want it but trust me the few that are behind your brand are going to stay forever. Covetousness is a good tool for marketing.

Do you have it in you to be coveted? Can you be in the top 1% of what you do? Like I said, taming a wild animal is easier than taming the human brain. I am trying to tame mine. They don't call me Tiger for nothing. What about you?

[ Did I mention what I would gift myself when I reach 75 kgs? A Volkswagen Polo ;) ]

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

18 comments:

Manjinder Singh said...

Awesome Tiger!!!! U've set an e.g. for others to follow. Although I wonder, how many will follow. But hats off 2 u.....

Sara said...

Hey Vamshi, Great going.

It shows your determination and passion. Take care and must say your angel is blessed to have you.

Nidz said...

nice pic. Ur house is it?

Santosh Naidu said...

Its true impossible is nothing espicially controlling human brain. Great buddy...

Unknown said...

a blend of many thoughts. i liked the humour part if it but was quite imprressed the way u thought of appreciating ur self (A Volkswagen Polo). now i understand how much it means, keep jogging and blogging, cheers - deep

Abhishek Mishra said...

it was a example for all those who wana to do smthing great with their bosy even being in professional life, carry on dude.. n i will follow u

Poonam Kankariya said...

Simply AWESOME!!! wish i hav d same determination, passion n zeal.. :) keep motivating my frnd... so true n instantly inspiring :)

Unknown said...

Great!! will i ever get this kinda determination??? not for losing weight ofcourse.. but anything in life is a big question mark... U rock Tiger!!

MJ said...

we call you Tiger for these things :)

may be Accenture can hire you as brand ambassador :)

btw VW Polo? awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

hehehe i guess that will be a better inspiration to lose weight than my pic :P

Unknown said...

Hey Vamsi...

You had become a motivation for me toooo... I've started gym from Jan 1st.. the day I saw your pic on orkut... and every 15 days I see u change a lot.. This is motivating me even more when I get demoralized... Thanks.. Truly said... Human body is a wild animal and takes lot of will power to tame it... I'm also trying too.. he he

Dhiru said...

!dea : jog n blog...blog n jog...jog n blog :)

Unknown said...

Do you know what I see in this pic?

I can see only HALF of my old friend and wondering where is the rest of him!!!

My God I just have one thing to say about this... I can see how far his undeterred determination and dedication goes beyond his work life...

Niyati Priyam said...

Tiger!! I am going to take a print of this and post it on my workstation board...I have been fighting fat since past 7-8 months...but sad to say I myself m loosing it...those vada pav's, fruit juices, tasty dosa, pizza, burger, Mc D pizza mc puff drive me mad and i go running after them...guess i need to read this stuff again and again to know what it takes!! WONDERGUL!!!! KEEP IT UP!!! I know what it takes and you have done wonders! (Guess what I am gifting myself when i reach 43?? (A mini ;)) hope I am able to do it :) :)

SkyLark said...

Hey Hi ra.. Nuvvu perigindhi n uvvu taggisthunnav.. thats what you did when you were at hyd (I meant abt putting on weight), now you are cutting it off..

But, chesindhi chaalu.. inka ippatikaina sarigga tinu.. down the line 10 yrs lo yemavutundo aalochinchu. U r perfect now, stop cutting down on food and eat well and excercise.

If u continue doing this, I will snatch away all ur cards and u wud not be able to buy any gadgets at all.

Mind u..

Unknown said...

Hey... Vamshi...
That's cool... U r the real tiger...

Passion exists in you... you just need to add little patience...

Also, i need to learn , how do you manage so many things together... tough job..
also... can u teach me how to blog through mobile... will help me a lot..

Unknown said...

its very true.. nice article..

Unknown said...

It's too good

Unknown said...

Awesome!!!! Keep on dieting!!ha ha and u would definitely reach the mark..don't worry...

Adapt